Thursday, January 8, 2015

Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ Style Headphones


Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ Style Headphones









CUSTOMER REVIEW



It was interesting to discover that these cans are actually the follow up to the now discontinued Sony MDR-V700DJ headphones, because in terms of specs they were the better headphones. They were bigger cans, had a cord that stretched allowing movement when you're either in a studio or performing and need to reach something, it also came with a little carrying pouch and a 1/4th adapter. These MDR-V55 cans come with absolutely NONE of that; the best thing I can say about these is that they have an aesthetic that competes with the "Beats By Dre" headphones and are much better than the "Beats" headphones from a price standpoint. Though I must recommend that you buy these headphones for as deep of a discount as you can, because I do not believe that they are worth $99.99, and considering I spent roughly $80 for my pair, I'd say that even that might be a little too expensive. $50 to $60 would be a sweet spot for these cans in my opinion, but like I said, just look for as deep of a discount as possible if you ever come across them.



Another important thing I should mention is that I can be added to the several other reviewers that pointed out the creaking sound. It's a nuisance and an annoyance, but something I find myself getting over after a while.***



It sounds like I'm negative here, but I'm a harsh critic because I'm a long time fan of Sony headphones. My first pair of "real" cans were the MDR-V150s back in 2003 for a freshman audio production class, then purchased a pair of MDR-Z300s while living in Japan in 2006, then moved on to the MDR-V700DJ cans in 2007. The biggest problem with Sony headphones have always been build quality, meaning that every pair of headphones that I've owned so far had to have tape put on them to keep them together. In the case of my last pair, the V700DJ, I had to tape up the cord because after a few years the things were falling a part. Well it looks like Sony has addressed the issue of quality, and I would be surprised if I ever have to tape up these MDR-V55 cans, but the reason for me being a Sony fan is the sound quality - and the quality is generally superb. Again, it is a slight step down from my previous model, but if you're just casually listening to music, I think these would be a great purchase and excellent alternative to the current flavor of the month brand(s).



So in summary, the sound quality is what you'd expect from Sony - which is excellent in my opinion. If you need to move around a studio, desk, or on a stage - you might want to buy yourself a cord extender and maybe even a 1/4th adapter if you have any equipment that would need it. The regular retail price of $99.99 doesn't inspire me, so if you can find these NEW for under $80, you'd be making a very wise purchase that's both money conscious and quality conscious.



***EDIT AS OF March 22, 2013 - I'm debating whether I should keep this at four stars or knock it down to three. When it comes to sound quality, Sony is still one of my go to companies; but as far as build quality is concerned I can no longer deal with the creaking these cans create. It's not noticeable when the volume is turned all the way up, but with the volume down these things show their lack of quality. There are several reports all over the internet of this creaking issue across several different models of Sony headsets. Whether you are a professional or just a casual listener, the only Sony headphones I'd be confident in recommending - still on the market - are the MDR-V7506 (and it's older brother, the V6). I can't say a bad word about those headphones.



Right now I'm trying out the Pioneer HDJ-500, and they already impress me. It comes with both a coiled cable and a straight cable, as well as a 1/4th adapter. These Pioneer cans strike me as a better follow up to the Sony MDR-V700DJ cans, as these are great for actual DJing, as well as casual listening to genres such as house, dance, hip-hop, and mainstream pop. I'll head over to that product and give those a review, but after less than a year, I think I'm going to bench these MDR-V55 headsets. It's crazy that I paid $80 for this, and even looking at the price now with months of experience with the product, I can't say that $60 new is worth the price. As I said at the end of my first paragraph, just look for as deep of a discount as possible if you have your heart set on these.

No comments:

Post a Comment